- Zhang C.S.
- Bertaso F.
- Eulenburg V.
- Lerner-Natoli M.
- Herin G.A.
- Bauer L.
- et al.
- Cottrell J.R.
- Levenson J.M.
- Kim S.H.
- Gibson H.E.
- Richardson K.A.
- Sivula M.
- et al.
- Roussos P.
- Giakoumaki S.G.
- Adamaki E.
- Georgakopoulos A.
- Robakis N.K.
- Bitsios P.
Methods and Materials
Subjects: discovery and replication cohorts
Visuospatial working memory task: Rey complex figure test Delayed component (REYD)
Genomic and bioinformatics analyses of working memory in ADHD patients
DNA extraction and genotyping
Genetic Single-marker analyses
Gene-based and Pathway enrichment analyses
Polygenic Risk Score
Regulatory feature analyses and network construction
Functional analyses of rbfox1 in zebrafish
Zebrafish husbandry and care
Zebrafish loss-of-function studies
Quantitative real-time PCR
Transcriptome sequencing analysis
Zebrafish behavioral tests: working memory
Statistical analyses of zebrafish experiments
|SNP||Pos||A1||LD with rs75885813||BETA||SE||STAT||P|
Associated variants may affect transcriptional regulation
Gene-based and pathway enrichment analyses
|FULL NAME||NGENES/TOTAL||GENE LIST||BETA||BETA STD||SE||P|
|GO:0016071 GOBP MRNA METABOLIC PROCESS||5/879||RBFOX1, SMG6, TNFSF13, FXR2, RAVER1||0.697||0.144||0.0995||6.963E-10|
|GO:1903311 GOBP REGULATION OF MRNA METABOLIC PROCESS||3/334||RBFOX1, TNFSF13, FXR2||1.511||0.244||0.235||7.520E-09|
|GO:0098791 GOCC GOLGI APPARATUS SUBCOMPARTMENT||2/887||RBFOX1, CNGB1||1.454||0.193||0.230||1.189E-08|
|GO:0003729 GOMF MRNA BINDING||3/538||RBFOX1, EIF4A1, FXR2||1.416||0.229||0.231||2.538E-06|
|GO:0006397 GOBP MRNA PROCESSING||3/543||RBFOX1, FXR2, RAVER1||1.350||0.218||0.222||2.917E-08|
|GO:0000375 GOBP RNA SPLICING VIA TRANSESTERIFICATION REACTIONS||3/384||RBFOX1, FXR2, RAVER1||1.350||0.218||0.222||2.917E-08|
|GO:0051236 GOBP ESTABLISHMENT OF RNA LOCALIZATION||3/200||NUP205, RBFOX1, SMG6||0.590||0.0952||0.0979||3.882E-08|
|GO:0006403 GOBP RNA LOCALIZATION||3/233||NUP205, RBFOX1, SMG6||0.590||0.0952||0.0979||3.882E-08|
|GO:0000381 GOBP REGULATION OF ALTERNATIVE MRNA SPLICING VIA SPLICEOSOME||2/57||RBFOX1, FXR2||1.370||0.181||0.228||4.009E-08|
|GO:0050684 GOBP REGULATION OF MRNA PROCESSING||2/139||RBFOX1, FXR2||1.370||0.181||0.228||4.009E-08|
|GO:0048024 GOBP REGULATION OF MRNA SPLICING VIA SPLICEOSOME||2/100||RBFOX1, FXR2||1.370||0.181||0.228||4.009E-08|
|GO:0043484 GOBP REGULATION OF RNA SPLICING||2/144||RBFOX1, FXR2||1.370||0.181||0.228||4.009E-08|
|GO:0035770 GOCC RIBONUCLEOPROTEIN GRANULE||2/244||RBFOX1, FXR2||1.370||0.181||0.228||4.009E-08|
|GO:0015931 GOBP NUCLEOBASE CONTAINING COMPOUND TRANSPORT||4/252||NUP205, SLC28A1, RBFOX1, SMG6||0.511||0.0948||0.0946||4.537E-07|
|GO:0003723 GOMF RNA BINDING||9/1938||RPN1, C7orf50, RALYL, RPP25L, RBFOX1, SMG6, EIF4A1, FXR2, RAVER1||0.491||0.134||0.0940||8.876E-07|
|GO:0008380 GOBP RNA SPLICING||5/478||C2orf49, RBFOX1, USB1, FXR2, RAVER1||1.091||0.225||0.219||2.360E-06|
Functional analyses of rbfox1 in zebrafish
Posttranscriptional regulation of WM genes
- A meta-analysis on verbal working memory in children and adolescents with ADHD.Clin Neuropsychol. 2020; 34: 873-898
- The Neurocognitive Profile of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: A Review of Meta-Analyses.Archives of clinical neuropsychology : the official journal of the National Academy of Neuropsychologists. 2018; 33: 143-157
- Clinical correlates of working memory deficits in youth with and without ADHD: A controlled study.Journal of clinical and experimental neuropsychology. 2016; 38: 487-496
- CDH13 is associated with working memory performance in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Genes, brain, and behavior. 2011; 10: 844-851
- Clusters of cooperative ion channels enable a membrane-potential-based mechanism for short-term memory.eLife. 2020; 9
- Different Forms of AMPA Receptor Mediated LTP and Their Correlation to the Spatial Working Memory Formation.Front Mol Neurosci. 2017; 10: 214
- Emerging roles for MEF2 transcription factors in memory.Genes, brain, and behavior. 2014; 13: 118-125
- Knock-in mice lacking the PDZ-ligand motif of mGluR7a show impaired PKC-dependent autoinhibition of glutamate release, spatial working memory deficits, and increased susceptibility to pentylenetetrazol.The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience. 2008; 28: 8604-8614
- Role of hippocampal activity-induced transcription in memory consolidation.Rev Neurosci. 2016; 27: 559-573
- Allelic variation in GAD1 (GAD67) is associated with schizophrenia and influences cortical function and gene expression.Molecular psychiatry. 2007; 12: 854-869
- Association of the DTNBP1 genotype with cognition and personality traits in healthy subjects.Psychological medicine. 2009; 39: 1657-1665
- Cognitive dysfunction and glutamate reuptake: effect of EAAT2 polymorphism in schizophrenia.Neuroscience letters. 2012; 522: 151-155
- Dysbindin modulates prefrontal cortical glutamatergic circuits and working memory function in mice.Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009; 34: 2601-2608
- Synaptosome-related (SNARE) genes and their interactions contribute to the susceptibility and working memory of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in males.Progress in neuro-psychopharmacology & biological psychiatry. 2015; 57: 132-139
- Working memory impairment in calcineurin knock-out mice is associated with alterations in synaptic vesicle cycling and disruption of high-frequency synaptic and network activity in prefrontal cortex.The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience. 2013; 33: 10938-10949
- Combined effect of genetic variants in the GluN2B coding gene (GRIN2B) on prefrontal function during working memory performance.Psychological medicine. 2016; 46: 1135-1150
- The influence of the glutamatergic system on cognition in schizophrenia: A systematic review.Neuroscience and biobehavioral reviews. 2017; 77: 369-387
- A neuronal nitric oxide synthase (NOS-I) haplotype associated with schizophrenia modifies prefrontal cortex function.Molecular psychiatry. 2006; 11: 286-300
- Restoration of spatial working memory by genetic rescue of GluR-A-deficient mice.Nature neuroscience. 2005; 8: 270-272
- Spatial memory dissociations in mice lacking GluR1.Nature neuroscience. 2002; 5: 868-873
- The association of schizophrenia risk D-amino acid oxidase polymorphisms with sensorimotor gating, working memory and personality in healthy males.Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011; 36: 1677-1688
- Converging genetic and functional brain imaging evidence links neuronal excitability to working memory, psychiatric disease, and brain activity.Neuron. 2014; 81: 1203-1213
- The G72/G30 gene complex and cognitive abnormalities in schizophrenia.Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006; 31: 2022-2032
- Copy number elevation of 22q11.2 genes arrests the developmental maturation of working memory capacity and adult hippocampal neurogenesis.Molecular psychiatry. 2018; 23: 985-992
- ZNF804A genotype modulates neural activity during working memory for faces.Neuropsychobiology. 2013; 67: 84-92
- Quantity, not quality: the relationship between fluid intelligence and working memory capacity.Psychonomic bulletin & review. 2010; 17: 673-679
- Negative and Nonemotional Interference with Visual Working Memory in Schizophrenia.Biological psychiatry. 2011; 70: 1159-1168
Schecklmann M, Dresler T, Beck S, Jay JT, Febres R, Haeusler J, et al. (2011): Reduced prefrontal oxygenation during object and spatial visual working memory in unpolar and bipolar depression. 194:378-384.
- Use of Zebrafish in Drug Discovery Toxicology.Chemical research in toxicology. 2020; 33: 95-118
Adamson KI, Sheridan E, Grierson AJ (2018): Use of zebrafish models to investigate rare human disease. 55:641-649.
- Whole-brain activity mapping onto a zebrafish brain atlas.Nature methods. 2015; 12: 1039-1046
- The behaviour and ecology of the zebrafish, Danio rerio.Biological reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society. 2008; 83: 13-34
- Animal models of human disease: zebrafish swim into view.Nature Reviews Genetics. 2007; 8: 353-367
Sakai C, Ijaz S, Hoffman EJ (2018): Zebrafish Models of Neurodevelopmental Disorders: Past, Present, and Future. 11.
- Using zebrafish to assess the impact of drugs on neural development and function.Expert opinion on drug discovery. 2009; 4: 715-726
- Zebrafish: A Translational Model System for Studying Neuropsychiatric Disorders.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2016; 55: 746-748
FETCHO JR, LIU KS (1998): Zebrafish as a Model System for Studying Neuronal Circuits and Behaviora. 860:333-345.
- Executive function profile of Chinese boys with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: different subtypes and comorbidity.Archives of clinical neuropsychology : the official journal of the National Academy of Neuropsychologists. 2011; 26: 120-132
- Data quality control in genetic case-control association studies.Nature protocols. 2010; 5: 1564-1573
- An integrated map of structural variation in 2,504 human genomes.Nature. 2015; 526: 75-81
- Second-generation PLINK: rising to the challenge of larger and richer datasets.GigaScience. 2015; 4: 7
Eve M Valera, Ph.D. , Ariel Brown, Ph.D. , Joseph Biederman, M.D. , Stephen V. Faraone, Ph.D. , Nikos Makris, M.D., Ph.D. , Michael C. Monuteaux, Sc.D. , et al. (2010): Sex Differences in the Functional Neuroanatomy of Working Memory in Adults With ADHD. 167:86-94.
Soares PSM, de Oliveira PD, Wehrmeister FC, Menezes AMB, Rohde LA, Gonçalves H (2022): Does IQ Influence Association Between Working Memory and ADHD Symptoms in Young Adults? 26:1097-1105.
- Principal components analysis corrects for stratification in genome-wide association studies.Nature genetics. 2006; 38: 904-909
- MAGMA: generalized gene-set analysis of GWAS data.PLoS computational biology. 2015; 11e1004219
- The Molecular Signatures Database (MSigDB) hallmark gene set collection.Cell Syst. 2015; 1: 417-425
- PRSice-2: Polygenic Risk Score software for biobank-scale data.GigaScience. 2019; 8
- rSNPBase 3.0: an updated database of SNP-related regulatory elements, element-gene pairs and SNP-based gene regulatory networks.Nucleic acids research. 2018; 46: D1111-d1116
- HaploReg v4: systematic mining of putative causal variants, cell types, regulators and target genes for human complex traits and disease.Nucleic acids research. 2016; 44: D877-881
- The Genotype-Tissue Expression (GTEx) project.Nature genetics. 2013; 45: 580-585
- The STRING database in 2017: quality-controlled protein-protein association networks, made broadly accessible.Nucleic acids research. 2017; 45: D362-d368
Westerfield M (2000): The zebrafish book. A guide for the laboratory use of zebrafish (Danio rerio). 4 ed. Eugene: University of Oregon Press.
- A Model to Study NMDA Receptors in Early Nervous System Development.The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience. 2020; 40: 3631-3645
- Genomic Relationships, Novel Loci, and Pleiotropic Mechanisms across Eight Psychiatric Disorders.Cell. 2019; 179 (e1411): 1469-1482
- Working memory, attention, and executive function in Alzheimer's disease and frontotemporal dementia.Cortex; a journal devoted to the study of the nervous system and behavior. 2012; 48: 429-446
- Family-based association analyses of imputed genotypes reveal genome-wide significant association of Alzheimer's disease with OSBPL6, PTPRG, and PDCL3.Molecular psychiatry. 2016; 21: 1608-1612
- Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies for neuroticism in 449,484 individuals identifies novel genetic loci and pathways.Nature genetics. 2018; 50: 920-927
- Memory acquisition and retrieval impact different epigenetic processes that regulate gene expression.BMC genomics. 2015; 16: S5
- Discovery of the first genome-wide significant risk loci for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Nature genetics. 2019; 51: 63-75
- Replacing SNAP-25b with SNAP-25a expression results in metabolic disease.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2015; 112: E4326-4335
- SNAP-25a and SNAP-25b differently mediate interactions with Munc18-1 and Gβγ subunits.Neuroscience letters. 2018; 674: 75-80
- The splicing regulator Rbfox1 (A2BP1) controls neuronal excitation in the mammalian brain.Nature genetics. 2011; 43: 706-711
Publication stageIn Press Accepted Manuscript
Correspondence to Li Yang.
The summary statistics for the GWAS analyses will be publicly available after publication of this study. Data that support the findings of this study are available from the corresponding author upon request from qualified researchers for reasonable, non-commercial research purposes. A data application and an agreement may be required.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy