From the Bottom Up: Toward Algorithmic Development of Novel Therapies
Transdiagnostic and Preclinical Considerations
- Gillan C.M.
- Kalanthroff E.
- Evans M.
- Weingarden H.M.
- Jacoby R.J.
- Gershkovich M.
- et al.
- Pizzagalli D.A.
- Smoski M.
- Ang Y.S.
- Whitton A.E.
- Sanacora G.
- Mathew S.J.
- et al.
Research Domain Criteria (RDoC).
- Zhukovsky P.
- Puaud M.
- Jupp B.
- Sala-Bayo J.
- Alsiö J.
- Xia J.
- et al.
Beyond Case Control: Capturing Dynamic Processes Via Longitudinal Computational Assessment
- Coppersmith D.D.L.
- Dempsey W.
- Kleiman E.
- Bentley K.
- Murphy S.
- Nock M.
The Final Frontier: Clinical Challenges to Implementation
Acknowledgments and Disclosures
- Toward addiction prediction: An overview of cross-validated predictive modeling findings and considerations for future neuroimaging research.Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2020; 5: 748-758
- Translational medicine definition by the European Society for Translational Medicine.New Horiz Transl Med. 2015; 2: 86-88
- Computational psychiatry as a bridge from neuroscience to clinical applications.Nat Neurosci. 2016; 19: 404-413
- From understanding computation to understanding neural circuitry: Artificial Intelligence Laboratory AI Memo 357.Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts1976
- The place of dopamine in the cortico-basal ganglia circuit.Neuroscience. 2014; 282: 248-257
- A neural substrate of prediction and reward.Science. 1997; 275: 1593-1599
- Under the hood: Using computational psychiatry to make psychological therapies more mechanism-focused.Front Psychiatry. 2020; 11: 140
- Psychopharmacology: From serendipitous discoveries to rationale design, but what next?.Brain Neurosci Adv. 2018; 2 (2398212818812629)
- Half a century of antipsychotics and still a central role for dopamine D2 receptors.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2003; 27: 1081-1090
- Cognition and control in schizophrenia: A computational model of dopamine and prefrontal function.Biol Psychiatry. 1999; 46: 312-328
- An integrative perspective on the role of dopamine in schizophrenia.Biol Psychiatry. 2017; 81: 52-66
- Linking animal models of psychosis to computational models of dopamine function.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2007; 32: 54-66
- Towards a unifying cognitive, neurophysiological, and computational neuroscience account of schizophrenia.Schizophr Bull. 2019; 45: 1092-1100
- The computational anatomy of psychosis.Front Psychiatry. 2013; 4: 47
- The behavioral economics of substance use disorders: Reinforcement pathologies and their repair.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2014; 10: 641-677
- Formal comparison of dual-parameter temporal discounting models in controls and pathological gamblers.PLoS One. 2012; 7e47225
- Unstuck in time: Episodic future thinking reduces delay discounting and cigarette smoking.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2016; 233: 3771-3778
- Remember the future: Working memory training decreases delay discounting among stimulant addicts.Biol Psychiatry. 2011; 69: 260-265
- Behavioral economic tobacco demand in relation to cigarette consumption and nicotine dependence: A meta-analysis of cross-sectional relationships.Addiction. 2019; 114: 1926-1940
- Economic demand and essential value.Psychol Rev. 2008; 115: 186-198
- High-resolution behavioral economic analysis of cigarette demand to inform tax policy.Addiction. 2012; 107: 2191-2200
- Reinforcer pathology and response to contingency management for smoking cessation.Psychol Addict Behav. 2020; 34: 156-163
- Baseline cocaine demand predicts contingency management treatment outcomes for cocaine-use disorder.Psychol Addict Behav. 2020; 34: 164-174
- Decreased cocaine demand following contingency management treatment.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2021; 226: 108883
- Contingency management and deliberative decision-making processes.Front Psychiatry. 2015; 6: 76
- The behavioral economics of drug self-administration: A review and new analytical approach for within-session procedures.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2013; 226: 113-125
- Degeneracy and redundancy in active inference.Cereb Cortex. 2020; 30: 5750-5766
- The connectomics of brain disorders.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2015; 16: 159-172
- Computational validity: Using computation to translate behaviours across species.Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2022; 377: 20200525
- Functional parcellation of human and macaque striatum reveals human-specific connectivity in the dorsal caudate.Neuroimage. 2021; 235: 118006
- Primate homologs of mouse cortico-striatal circuits.Elife. 2020; 9e536820
- Task reliability considerations in computational psychiatry.Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2020; 5: 837-839
- The reliability paradox: Why robust cognitive tasks do not produce reliable individual differences.Behav Res Methods. 2018; 50: 1166-1186
- What is the test-retest reliability of common task-functional MRI measures? New empirical evidence and a meta-analysis.Psychol Sci. 2020; 31: 792-806
- Reliability and stability challenges in ABCD task fMRI data.Neuroimage. 2022; 252: 199046
- Test-retest reliability of neural correlates of response inhibition and error monitoring: An fMRI study of a stop-signal task.Front Neurosci. 2021; 15: 624911
- Test-retest reliability of fMRI-measured brain activity during decision making under risk.Neuroimage. 2020; 214: 116759
- The empirical replicability of task-based fMRI as a function of sample size.Neuroimage. 2020; 212: 116601
- Multisite reliability of MR-based functional connectivity.Neuroimage. 2017; 146: 959-970
- fMRI can be highly reliable, but it depends on what you measure.PsyArXiv. 2020; https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/9eaxk
- Improving the reliability of computational analyses: Model-based planning and its relationship with compulsivity.Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2020; 5: 601-609
- Improving the reliability of model-based decision-making estimates in the two-stage decision task with reaction-times and drift-diffusion modeling.PLOS Comput Biol. 2019; 15e1006803
- Computational modeling applied to the dot-probe task yields improved reliability and mechanistic insights.Biol Psychiatry. 2019; 85: 606-612
- Test-retest reliability of canonical reinforcement learning models.in: Presented at the Conference on Cognitive Computational Neurosciences, Sep 13–16, Berlin, Germany. 2019
- Is the encoding of Reward Prediction Error reliable during development?.Neuroimage. 2018; 178: 266-276
- Is model fitting necessary for model-based fMRI?.PLoS Comput Biol. 2015; 11e1004237
- Using brain imaging measures in studies of procognitive pharmacologic agents in schizophrenia: Psychometric and quality assurance considerations.Biol Psychiatry. 2011; 70: 13-18
- Impaired expected value computations coupled with overreliance on stimulus-response learning in schizophrenia.Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2018; 3: 916-926
- Probabilistic reinforcement learning in patients with schizophrenia: Relationships to anhedonia and avolition.Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2016; 1: 460-473
- Negative symptoms of schizophrenia are associated with abnormal effort-cost computations.Biol Psychiatry. 2013; 74: 130-136
- Disruption in the balance between goal-directed behavior and habit learning in obsessive-compulsive disorder.Am J Psychiatry. 2011; 168: 718-726
- Striatal dopamine and reward prediction error signaling in unmedicated schizophrenia patients.Schizophr Bull. 2020; 46: 1535-1546
- Ventral striatal activation during reward processing in psychosis: A neurofunctional meta-analysis.JAMA Psychiatry. 2015; 72: 1243-1251
- Computational mechanisms of effort and reward decisions in patients with depression and their association with relapse after antidepressant discontinuation.JAMA Psychiatry. 2020; 77: 513-522
- A psychometrics of individual differences in experimental tasks.Psychon Bull Rev. 2019; 26: 452-467
- Large-scale analysis of test-retest reliabilities of self-regulation measures.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2019; 116: 5472-5477
- Computational psychosomatics and computational psychiatry: Toward a joint framework for differential diagnosis.Biol Psychiatry. 2017; 82: 421-430
- Computational markers of risky decision-making for identification of temporal windows of vulnerability to opioid use in a real-world clinical setting.JAMA Psychiatry. 2020; 77: 368-377
- Densely sampled neuroimaging for maximizing clinical insight in psychiatric and addiction disorders.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2022; 47: 395-396
- Research domain criteria (RDoC): Toward a new classification framework for research on mental disorders.Am J Psychiatry. 2010; 167: 748-751
- The diagnosis of mental disorders: The problem of reification.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2010; 6: 155-179
- Characterizing a psychiatric symptom dimension related to deficits in goal-directed control.Elife. 2016; 5e11305
- Incentives boost model-based control across a range of severity on several psychiatric constructs.Biol Psychiatry. 2019; 85: 425-433
- Delay discounting as a transdiagnostic process in psychiatric disorders: A meta-analysis.JAMA Psychiatry. 2019; 76: 1176-1186
- Comparison of the association between goal-directed planning and self-reported compulsivity vs obsessive-compulsive disorder diagnosis [published correction appears in JAMA Psychiatry 2020; 77:10].JAMA Psychiatry. 2020; 77: 77-85
- Resting-state connectivity biomarkers define neurophysiological subtypes of depression [published correction appears in Nat Med 2017; 23:264].Nat Med. 2017; 23: 28-38
- Selective kappa-opioid antagonism ameliorates anhedonic behavior: Evidence from the Fast-fail Trial in Mood and Anxiety Spectrum Disorders (FAST-MAS) [published correction appears in Neuropsychopharmacology 2021; 46:2224].Neuropsychopharmacology. 2020; 45: 1656-1663
- Effect of experimental manipulation of the orbitofrontal cortex on short-term markers of compulsive behavior: A theta burst stimulation study.Am J Psychiatry. 2021; 178: 459-468
- Uncovering the structure of self-regulation through data-driven ontology discovery.Nat Commun. 2019; 10: 2319
- Current state of psychiatric nosology.in: Redish A.D. Gordon J.A. Computational Psychiatry. New Perspectives on Mental Illness. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA2016: 139-152
- Research Domain Criteria (RDoC).(Available at:)
- Anhedonia as a key clinical feature in the maintenance and treatment of opioid use disorder.Clin Psychol Sci. 2019; 7: 1190-1206
- Mapping anhedonia onto reinforcement learning: A behavioural meta-analysis.Biol Mood Anxiety Disord. 2013; 3: 12
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).American Psychiatric Publishing, Washington, D.C.2013
- Modelling depression in animals: At the interface of reward and stress pathways.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2017; 234: 1451-1465
- Methods for dissecting motivation and related psychological processes in rodents.Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2016; 27: 451-470
- Measuring anhedonia: Impaired ability to pursue, experience, and learn about reward.Front Psychol. 2015; 6: 1409
- Evolving concepts of emotion and motivation.Front Psychol. 2018; 9: 1647
- Deep learning tools for the measurement of animal behavior in neuroscience.Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2020; 60: 1-11
- Sensitivity to “sunk costs” in mice, rats, and humans.Science. 2018; 361: 178-181
- Beyond simple tests of value: Measuring addiction as a heterogeneous disease of computation-specific valuation processes.Learn Mem. 2018; 25: 501-512
- Model-free and model-based influences in addiction-related behaviors.Biol Psychiatry. 2019; 85: 936-945
- Chronic exposure to methamphetamine disrupts reinforcement-based decision making in rats.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2018; 43: 770-780
- Withdrawal from escalated cocaine self-administration impairs reversal learning by disrupting the effects of negative feedback on reward exploitation: A behavioral and computational analysis [published correction appears in Neuropsychopharmacology 2020; 45:714].Neuropsychopharmacology. 2019; 44: 2163-2173
- Computational psychiatry needs time and context.Annu Rev Psychol. 2022; 73: 243-270
- Mapping sign-tracking and goal-tracking onto human behaviors.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2020; 111: 84-94
- A translational model to assess sign-tracking and goal-tracking behavior in children.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2018; 43: 228-229
- What do reinforcement learning models measure? Interpreting model parameters in cognition and neuroscience.Curr Opin Behav Sci. 2021; 41: 128-137
- Computational theory-driven studies of reinforcement learning and decision-making in addiction: What have we learned?.Curr Opin Behav Sci. 2021; 38: 40-48
- Association of symptom network structure with the course of depression [published correction appears in JAMA Psychiatry 2016; 73:412].JAMA Psychiatry. 2015; 72: 1219-1226
- Susceptibility to interference between Pavlovian and instrumental control is associated with early hazardous alcohol use.Addict Biol. 2021; 26e12983
- An electroencephalographic signature predicts antidepressant response in major depression.Nat Biotechnol. 2020; 38: 439-447
- Connectome-based prediction of cocaine abstinence.Am J Psychiatry. 2019; 176: 156-164
- Dissociable neural substrates of opioid and cocaine use identified via connectome-based modelling.Mol Psychiatry. 2021; 26: 4383-4393
- A longitudinal approach to biological psychiatric research: The PsyCourse study.Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2019; 180: 89-102
- Just-in-time adaptive interventions for suicide prevention: Promise, challenges, and future directions.PsyArXiv. 2021; https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/eg9fx
- Just-in-time adaptive interventions (JITAIs) in mobile health: Key components and design principles for ongoing health behavior support.Ann Behav Med. 2018; 52: 446-462
- Developments in mobile health just-in-time adaptive interventions for addiction science.Curr Addict Rep. 2020; 7: 280-290
- A mobile just-in-time adaptive intervention for smoking cessation: Pilot randomized controlled trial.J Med Internet Res. 2020; 22e16907
- Building health behavior models to guide the development of just-in-time adaptive interventions: A pragmatic framework.Health Psychol. 2015; 34S: 1209-1219
- Real-time assessment of suicidal thoughts and behaviors.Curr Opin Psychol. 2018; 22: 33-37
- Ecological momentary assessment of mood disorders and mood dysregulation.Psychol Assess. 2009; 21: 463-475
- The acceptability of real-time health monitoring among community participants with depression: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature.Depress Anxiety. 2020; 37: 885-897
- Introduction to the special issue on use of mobile technology for real-time assessment and treatment of substance-use disorders.Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2018; 44: 499-501
- Functional system and areal organization of a highly sampled individual human brain.Neuron. 2015; 87: 657-670
- Long-term neural and physiological phenotyping of a single human.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 8885
- Extensive sampling for complete models of individual brains.Curr Opin Behav Sci. 2021; 40: 45-51
- Imaging the temporal dynamics of brain states with highly sampled fMRI.Curr Opin Behav Sci. 2021; 40: 87-95
- Tracking plasticity of individual human brains.Curr Opin Behav Sci. 2021; 40: 161-168
- Decision-making ability, psychopathology, and brain connectivity.Neuron. 2021; 109: 2025-2040.e7
- Decision-making in stimulant and opiate addicts in protracted abstinence: Evidence from computational modeling with pure users.Front Psychol. 2014; 5: 849
- Enhanced risk aversion, but not loss aversion, in unmedicated pathological anxiety.Biol Psychiatry. 2017; 81: 1014-1022
- Associations between aversive learning processes and transdiagnostic psychiatric symptoms in a general population sample.Nat Commun. 2020; 11: 4179
- Psychiatric symptom dimensions are associated with dissociable shifts in metacognition but not task performance.Biol Psychiatry. 2018; 84: 443-451
- A distinct inferential mechanism for delusions in schizophrenia.Brain. 2019; 142: 1797-1812
- Screening tests: A review with examples [published correction appears in Inhal Toxicol 2019; 31:298].Inhal Toxicol. 2014; 26: 811-828
- Principles and Practice of Screening for Disease.World Health Organization, Geneva1968
- Assessing the value of diagnostic tests: A framework for designing and evaluating trials.BMJ. 2012; 344: e686
- Chang S.M. Matchar D.B. Smetana G.W. Umscheid C.A. Methods Guide for Medical Test Reviews. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2012
- Chapter 12: Systematic review of prognostic tests.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: S94-S101
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD2015 Behavioral Health Trends in the United States: Results From the 2014 National Survey on Drug Use and Health.
- Twenty years of mixture of experts.IEEE Trans Neural Netw Learn Syst. 2012; 23: 1177-1193
- Adaptive mixtures of local experts.Neural Comput. 1991; 3: 79-87
- Neural correlates of effective learning in experienced medical decision-makers.PLoS One. 2011; 6e27768
- Cost-effectiveness of a mindfulness-based mental health promotion program: Economic evaluation of a nonrandomized controlled trial with propensity score matching.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 1309
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy