|Aggression||18,988||Pappa et al. (|
|Angry Outbursts||71,196||Sudlow et al. (|
|Extreme Irritable||157,357||Sudlow et al. (|
|Irritability||501,652||Sudlow et al. (|
|Irritable for 2 Days||202,883||Sudlow et al. (|
|ADHD||53,293||Demontis et al. (|
|Antisocial Behavior||25,781||Tielbeek et al. (|
|General Risk Tolerance||466,571||Karlsson Linnér et al. (|
|Drinks per Week||414,343||Karlsson Linnér et al. (|
|Ever Smoker||518,633||Karlsson Linnér et al. (|
|Number of Sexual Partners||370,711||Karlsson Linnér et al. (|
|Automobile Speeding Propensity||404,291||Karlsson Linnér et al. (|
|Lifetime Cannabis Use||184,765||Pasman et al. (|
Methods and Materials
Identification of Genetic Factor Structures
Multivariate N-Weighted Genome-wide Association Meta-analysis
Genetic Relationships With Other Traits
Gene Set Associations
Conditional Analyses for Tissue Types and Gene Sets
Stratified LDSC of Tissue Types
Stratified LDSC of Local Gene Expression Across the Human Brain
Stratified LDSC of Brain Cell Types
Identification of Genetic Factor Structure
Genetic Relationships With Other Traits
Causal Relationship of DB With Smoking and Alcohol Use
|Exposure||Outcome||SNPs, n||F||IVW||Weighted Median||Weighted Mode||MR-Egger (SIMEX)||GSMR|
|β||95% CI||p||β||95% CI||p||β||95% CI||p||β||95% CI||p||SNPs, n||β||95% CI||p|
|DB||Smoking initiation||40||37.41||0.39||0.24 to 0.54||2.0 × 10−7||0.25||0.13 to 0.37||3.2 × 10−5||0.15||−0.06 to 0.36||.180||0.43||0.09 to 0.77||.017||33||0.342||0.27 to 0.41||1.7 × 10−20|
|DB||Cigarettes/day||38||37.61||0.14||0.01 to 0.27||.029||−0.01||−0.12 to 0.10||.895||−0.06||−0.16 to 0.04||.284||−0.31||−0.60 to −0.02||.041||34||0.178||0.09 to 0.26||3.3 × 10−5|
|DB||Smoking cessation||40||37.33||−0.20||−0.33 to −0.07||.002||−0.11||−0.25 to 0.03||.118||0.02||−0.24 to 0.28||.873||0.17||−0.11 to 0.45||.254||37||−0.190||−0.29 to −0.09||9.9 × 10−5|
|DB||Alcohol/week||40||37.41||−0.01||−0.04 to 0.02||.472||−0.002||−0.03 to 0.03||.897||0.01||−0.02 to 0.04||.545||−0.04||−0.11 to 0.03||.341||35||−0.020||−0.04 to 0.00||.043|
|DB||Alcohol use disorder||46||37.00||0.26||0.08 to 0.44||.004||0.16||−0.10 to 0.42||.245||0.14||−0.12 to 0.40||.288||n.a.||n.a.||n.a.||43||0.310||0.10 to 0.52||.003|
|Smoking Initiation||DB||317||27.53||0.17||0.14 to 0.20||9.9 × 10−31||0.15||0.12 to 0.18||8.0 × 10−21||0.15||0.05 to 0.25||.004||n.a.||n.a.||n.a.||296||0.186||0.17 to 0.21||6.4 × 10−72|
|Alcohol/week||DB||80||28.61||0.04||−0.13 to 0.21||.632||0.052||−0.12 to 0.22||.543||−0.17||−2.07 to 1.73||.859||−0.24||−0.54 to 0.06||.133||74||0.0719||−0.05 to 0.20||.261|
|Alcohol Dis. 5 × 10−8||DB||7||26.35||−0.02||−0.06 to 0.02||.299||−0.02||−0.06 to 0.02||.480||−0.01||−0.08 to 0.06||.833||n.a.||n.a.||n.a.||7||0.00016||−0.04 to 0.04||.993|
|Alcohol Dis. 1 × 10−5||DB||25||21.94||−0.01||−0.03 to 0.01||.328||−0.01||−0.03 to 0.01||.654||−0.01||−0.06 to 0.04||.652||n.a.||n.a.||n.a.||24||−0.0078||−0.02 to 0.01||.365|
Gene Set Associations
Differential Gene Expression
- Dick D.M.
- Viken R.J.
- Kaprio J.
- Pulkkinen L.
- Rose R.J.
- Hoogman M.
- Bralten J.
- Hibar D.P.
- Mennes M.
- Zwiers M.P.
- Schweren L.S.J.
- et al.
- Kranzler H.R.
- Zhou H.
- Kember R.L.
- Vickers Smith R.
- Justice A.C.
- Damrauer S.
- et al.
Acknowledgments and Disclosures
- Supplement 1
- Supplement 2
- Key Resources Table
- Progress in achieving quantitative classification of psychopathology.World Psychiatry. 2018; 17: 282-293
- Externalizing disorders: Cluster 5 of the proposed meta-structure for DSM-V and ICD-11.Psychol Med. 2009; 39: 2061-2070
- Trait impulsivity and the externalizing spectrum.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2017; 13: 343-368
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, trait impulsivity, and externalizing behavior in a longitudinal sample.J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2017; 45: 1077-1089
- Alcohol use and burden for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2016: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.Lancet. 2018; 392: 1015-1035
- Childhood aggression and the co-occurrence of behavioural and emotional problems: Results across ages 3–16 years from multiple raters in six cohorts in the EU-ACTION project.Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2018; 27: 1105-1121
- Disinhibition as a unifying construct in understanding how personality dispositions undergird psychopathology.J Res Pers. 2019; 80: 55-61
- Personality disorder traits, family environment, and alcohol misuse: A multivariate behavioural genetic analysis.Addiction. 2000; 95: 873-888
- Etiologic connections among substance dependence, antisocial behavior, and personality: Modeling the externalizing spectrum.J Abnorm Psychol. 2002; 111: 411-424
- Evidence of a prominent genetic basis for associations between psychoneurometric traits and common mental disorders.Int J Psychophysiol. 2017; 115: 4-12
- Behavioral disinhibition: Liability for externalizing spectrum disorders and its genetic and environmental relation to response inhibition across adolescence.J Abnorm Psychol. 2009; 118: 117-130
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of neuroimaging in oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) and conduct disorder (CD) taking attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) into account.Neuropsychol Rev. 2016; 26: 44-72
- Prefrontal structural and functional brain imaging findings in antisocial, violent, and psychopathic individuals: A meta-analysis.Psychiatry Res. 2009; 174: 81-88
- Cortical thickness, cortico-amygdalar networks, and externalizing behaviors in healthy children.Biol Psychiatry. 2014; 75: 65-72
- Investigating causality between liability to ADHD and substance use, and liability to substance use and ADHD risk, using Mendelian randomization.Addict Biol. 2021; 26e12849
- GWAS of lifetime cannabis use reveals new risk loci, genetic overlap with psychiatric traits, and a causal influence of schizophrenia.Nat Neurosci. 2018; 21: 1161-1170
- Genome-wide association studies of a broad spectrum of antisocial behavior.JAMA Psychiatry. 2017; 74: 1242-1250
- A genome-wide approach to children’s aggressive behavior: The EAGLE consortium.Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2016; 171: 562-572
- UK Biobank: An open access resource for identifying the causes of a wide range of complex diseases of middle and old age.PLoS Med. 2015; 12e1001779
- Discovery of the first genome-wide significant risk loci for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Nat Genet. 2019; 51: 63-75
- Genome-wide association analyses of risk tolerance and risky behaviors in over 1 million individuals identify hundreds of loci and shared genetic influences.Nat Genet. 2019; 51: 245-257
- Multivariate genome-wide analyses of the well-being spectrum.Nat Genet. 2019; 51: 445-451
- Population genetics models of local ancestry.Genetics. 2012; 191: 607-619
- LD Score regression distinguishes confounding from polygenicity in genome-wide association studies.Nat Genet. 2015; 47: 291-295
- An atlas of genetic correlations across human diseases and traits.Nat Genet. 2015; 47: 1236-1241
- Hierarchical grouping to optimize an objective function.J Am Stat Assoc. 1963; 58: 236-244
- A dendrite method for cluster analysis.Commun Stat. 1974; 3: 1-27
- Genomic structural equation modelling provides insights into the multivariate genetic architecture of complex traits.Nat Hum Behav. 2019; 3: 513-525
- MAGMA: Generalized gene-set analysis of GWAS data.PLoS Comput Biol. 2015; 11e1004219
- Human genomics. The Genotype-Tissue Expression (GTEx) pilot analysis: Multitissue gene regulation in humans.Science. 2015; 348: 648-660
- An anatomically comprehensive atlas of the adult human brain transcriptome.Nature. 2012; 489: 391-399
- Massively parallel single-nucleus RNA-seq with DroNc-seq.Nat Methods. 2017; 14: 955-958
- Association studies of up to 1.2 million individuals yield new insights into the genetic etiology of tobacco and alcohol use.Nat Genet. 2019; 51: 237-244
- Transancestral GWAS of alcohol dependence reveals common genetic underpinnings with psychiatric disorders.Nat Neurosci. 2018; 21: 1656-1669
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.Fifth Edition. American Psychiatric Association Publishing, Washington, DC2013
- Treating common psychiatric disorders associated with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2007; 8: 555-562
- Understanding the covariation among childhood externalizing symptoms: Genetic and environmental influences on conduct disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and oppositional defiant disorder symptoms.J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2005; 33: 219-229
- Multivariate genomic analysis of 1.5 million people identifies genetic associations with traits related to self-regulation and addiction.Nat Neurosci. 2021; 24: 1367-1376
- Risk-taking, antisocial behavior, and life histories.in: Duntley J.D. Shackelford T.K. Evolutionary Forensic Psychology: Darwinian Foundations of Crime and Law. Oxford University Press, New York, NY2008
- Validity and utility of Hierarchical Taxonomy of Psychopathology (HiTOP): II. Externalizing superspectrum.World Psychiatry. 2021; 20: 171-193
- Big five dimensions and ADHD symptoms: Links between personality traits and clinical symptoms.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2002; 83: 451-469
- The relation between five-factor personality traits and risk-taking behavior in preadolescents.Psychology. 2012; 3: 558-561
- Do ADHD-impulsivity and BMI have shared polygenic and neural correlates?.Mol Psychiatry. 2021; 26: 1019-1028
- Do childhood externalizing disorders predict adult depression? A meta-analysis [published correction appears in J Abnorm Child Psychol 2014; 42:1115–1116].J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2014; 42: 1103-1113
- Depressive and socially anxious symptoms, psychosocial maturity, and risk perception: Associations with risk-taking behaviour.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0202423
- Physical health risk behaviours in young people with mental illness.Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2015; 36: 781-790
- Testing bidirectional associations between childhood aggression and BMI: Results from three cohorts.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2019; 27: 822-829
- Investigating possible causal effects of externalizing behaviors on tobacco initiation: A Mendelian randomization analysis.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018; 191: 338-342
- Neurocircuitry of aggression and aggression seeking behavior: Nose poking into brain circuitry controlling aggression.Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2018; 49: 184-191
- The medial preoptic area modulates cocaine-induced activity in female rats.Behav Neurosci. 2013; 127: 293-302
- Contributions of the amygdala to emotion processing: From animal models to human behavior.Neuron. 2005; 48: 175-187
- Dysfunction in the neural circuitry of emotion regulation—A possible prelude to violence.Science. 2000; 289: 591-594
- Neural predictors of substance use disorders in young adulthood.Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging. 2017; 268: 22-26
- Correlation between amygdala volume and impulsivity in adults with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.Acta Neuropsychiatr. 2015; 27: 362-367
- The amygdala in adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: Structural and functional correlates of delay aversion.World J Biol Psychiatry. 2020; 21: 673-684
- Subcortical brain volume differences in participants with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children and adults: A cross-sectional mega-analysis [published correction appears in Lancet Psychiatry 2017; 4:436].Lancet Psychiatry. 2017; 4: 310-319
- An amygdala-to-hypothalamus circuit for social reward.Nat Neurosci. 2021; 24: 831-842
- The cerebellum and addiction: Insights gained from neuroimaging research.Addict Biol. 2014; 19: 317-331
- A multicohort, longitudinal study of cerebellar development in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2018; 59: 1114-1123
- Midbrain circuits that set locomotor speed and gait selection.Nature. 2018; 553: 455-460
- The neural circuits of innate fear: Detection, integration, action, and memorization.Learn Mem. 2016; 23: 544-555
- Mesencephalic cuneiform nucleus and its ascending and descending projections serve stress-related cardiovascular responses in the rat.J Auton Nerv Syst. 1992; 41: 157-176
- Attention: The claustrum.Trends Neurosci. 2015; 38: 486-495
- The claustrum supports resilience to distraction.Curr Biol. 2018; 28: 2752-2762.e7
- The neural correlates of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: An ALE meta-analysis.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2006; 47: 1051-1062
- Genomic relationships, novel loci, and pleiotropic mechanisms across eight psychiatric disorders.Cell. 2019; 179: 1469-1482.e11
- Genome-wide association analyses identify 44 risk variants and refine the genetic architecture of major depression.Nat Genet. 2018; 50: 668-681
- A large-scale genome-wide association study meta-analysis of cannabis use disorder.Lancet Psychiatry. 2020; 7: 1032-1045
- Genome-wide association study of alcohol consumption and use disorder in 274,424 individuals from multiple populations [published correction appears in Nat Commun 2019; 10:2275 and Nat Commun 2019; 10:4050].Nat Commun. 2019; 10: 1499
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy